Our client is a biomedical research facility in the greater Boston area looking to hire a full-time/permanent Veterinary Technician/Acting Supervisor! If you have a passion for working with animals in support of exciting research across multiple fields like neuroscience and diabetes, and are looking to get your foot in the door with a great Lab Animal Medicine program, then apply now before it's too late! This group actively develops it's staff (including AALAS certifications) and has low turnover. This position requires previous experience with animal care/handling, husbandry, and health checks. The ideal schedule is Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday through Saturday but there is flexibility to accommodate alternate schedules. Competitive hourly rate and outstanding benefits like health insurance, free onsite parking, full access to the campus library and gym, subsidized pre-tax commuter pass, free classes, etc!
The main function of this role is to provide general support for researchers using laboratory animals including but not limited to mice, rats, hamsters, and ferrets. This hire will also serve as backup and point person for the facility/lab manager in her absence!
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Perform routine health monitoring and basic veterinary care and enrichment as directed
• Report status of animal welfare, food/water consumption, appearance, and behavior to staff and veterinarians
• Assist research staff with experimental procedures like restraints, injections, euthanasia, and necropsy
• Ensure regulatory compliance for animals at this facility and adhere to all safety protocols
Qualifications include but are not limited to:
• Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in Veterinary Science/Technology, Animal Science, or related field
• Minimum of 1-3+ years of related experience lab animal medicine or the clinic
• Ability to lift up to 50lbs with or without accommodations — pushing/pulling racks of cages, lifting bags of feed/bedding, reaching, standing, and bending
• Basic certifications are a plus such as ALAT, LAT, or CVT (required to attain LAT within 3 years of employment)
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. indefinitely to be considered and must be able to relocate without assistance.
Formal descriptions can be supplied for interested candidates.
All resumes will be kept strictly confidential until you choose to pursue a specific opportunity with one of our clients.