Staff Scientist, Virology & Innate Immunity (Academic Research)
Location: La Jolla, CA
You’ll research with a goal to understand a pathogen’s ability to exploit the host cellular machinery and evade innate immune defenses to drive viral pathogenesis. Currently, the labs efforts target several RNA viruses of pandemic potential, including influenza virus, coronavirus, flaviviruses, and filoviruses. Through the Scripps Institute’s Calibr arm (https://www.scripps.edu/science-and-medicine/calibr/about/index.html), the lab has undertaken a robust drug-discovery program. The lab is specifically seeking to transform molecular discoveries to develop next-generation therapeutics for the treatment of viral infections, cancer and autoimmune disease and needs your expertise.
Questions to consider when applying towards this opportunity:
• How does your research experience fit with The Scripps team’s science?
• What can you uniquely bring to our research program & lab to drive research efforts?
• What are your long-term professional goals, and how can they integrate with The Scripps team’s in succeeding in these goals?
• Ph.D. degree and 3+ years of postdoctoral experience in biological science is required.
• Expertise in the field of virology, molecular biology, and/or immunology/innate immunity is preferred.
• An exhibited strong track record of high-impact publications in the field.
• Successful track record of ability to lead grant-writing and manuscript-writing efforts.
• Functional genomics and bioinformatics experience are a plus.
• Ability to work with academic and industry collaborators and communicate seamlessly across teams.
• Ability to manage and mentor a team of lab researchers, past experience is valuable in leadership.
• Ability to Independently develop and implement new projects and establish enabling collaborations.
Physical Requirements – This position will require BSL-3 training. Further details of the physical requirements of established essential functions for this position will be addressed during the interview process.
(Online Benefits Catalog: https://benefits.scripps.org/BenefitDocuments/Scripps_2022_Benefits_Catalog.pdf)
Commensurate with experience. The above statements describe the work and expectations in general terms. The statements are not intended to list all the responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of employees so classified, and the content herein is subject to change due to the business needs of Scripps Research, with or without notice. Furthermore, nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Scripps Research staff.
Scripps is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The safety and well-being of our candidates, our people and their families continues to be a top priority. Until restrictions change, interviews will be conducted virtually. New hires will work remotely, unless specifically authorized for campus access.