Senior Scientist, Platform Development
Who we are:
Our client is a preclinical-stage, VC-backed biotech startup based in Alameda, CA. We are reimagining the treatment of humanity’s most devastating diseases using a novel, CRISPR-powered genome editing platform. Our team is guided by a north star of constant personal growth while maintaining our core cultural values of constantly challenging the boundaries of possibilities, acting with integrity, and having fun.
What you’ll be doing:
Our client is looking for passionate and creative individuals to work in a dynamic start-up environment with a small, fast-paced team of scientists who are focused on revolutionizing the treatment paradigm for genetic disorders. You will be surrounded by a team with an infectious “can-do” attitude, who have no hesitancy to roll up their sleeves and get a task done, regardless of roles or titles.
You will report to the CEO and collaborate with other leaders to develop company strategy, manage R&D operations, and ensure day-to-day execution is aligned with the company’s vision. You will strategically conceptualize, design, and execute on experiments collaboratively towards the development of novel gene editing therapies. The specific projects that you will be responsible for driving will be determined by a combination of the company’s needs, your expertise, and your interests. Platform Development work will range across protein engineering, RNA engineering, novel architectures, high throughput screening, and next-generation sequencing.
You might be who we’re looking if you have:
- PhD in molecular biology, genetics, biophysics, bioengineering or a related field with a postdoc and/or 3+ years of industry experience
- Demonstrated experience with project management and the ability to lead small teams
- Proven track record of creating, troubleshooting, and executing on research plans
- A publication record of high-quality scientific work
- Strong experience with protein engineering, directed evolution work, high-throughput screening, or CRISPR-tool development
- High proficiency in cellular & molecular biology techniques including cloning DNA sequences, screening in human cells, and readout by FACS and NGS
- Experience with next-gen sequencing (Illumina, library prep, data analysis) is a plus
- A high degree of comfort with documenting and communicating scientific findings
- An entrepreneurial spirit and love working in fast-paced environments as well as enjoy working independently within a team environment
- The ability to commute to our lab in Alameda, CA and authorization to work in the United States
Working here is awesome because:
- We are moving so quickly, things never get stale
- You will be working on interesting and high impact problems with a team of seasoned, high caliber scientists, operators, investors, and advisors
- We promote the professional development of our employees and strongly encourage upward mobility
- We enable a sense of ownership by providing meaningful equity
- Generous paid time off, so you can take a break when you need it
- Health, Dental, and Vision benefits