Senior Director of Medicinal Chemistry
Location: Cambridge, MA
HireMinds is representing an established client at pre-IPO stage with a recent $100+ million funding round in their search for a Medicinal Chemistry leader. You’ll guide a team focused on developing oncology therapeutics using novel drug discovery approaches in drugging the “yet-to-be-drugged” in this leadership role. You will work closely with the VP of Chemistry and help lead a group of discovery chemists in designing novel therapeutic drugs. They key priority of this role will be to guide lead optimization programs and hit-to-lead projects to preclinical and IND stages. If this role seems like an exciting career option reach out to Chris Clancy or learn more by applying today.
You Will Be Responsible For:
- Guide Lead Programs as Chemistry expert with past successful therapeutic program team leadership experiences to draw from.
- Drive progression of lead molecules to pharmacological proof-of-concept studies and development candidate nomination.
- Develop plans for chemistry strategy, working in concert with partners in de novo discovery chemistry, molecular and cellular biology, and pharmacology to reach hit-to-lead and lead optimization goals.
- Lead and inspire a team of medicinal chemists by serving as a scientific expert in medicinal chemistry with both internal and external partners to generate new research ideas and initiatives.
- Look for chemistry team process improvements and implement solutions to ensure optimal coordination and efficiency across the team.
- Be a key team driver of timelines that enable the company to reach key discovery milestones and rapid delivery of first-in-class peptide drugs to patients.
- Oversee CROs and manage external projects to obtain compounds in accordance with goals/timelines.
- Present findings and devise and lead the preparation and presentation of chemistry portions of program advancement reporting to key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with IP Counsel to formulate intellectual property strategies.
You Will Need To Bring:
- Ph.D. in Medicinal, Organic, or Synthetic Chemistry from top-institutes with great publication contributions and 12+ years of Industry experience in industry (Pharma/Biotech) setting required.
- Demonstrated expertise and a track record of success in advancing discovery chemistry programs from target validation through lead optimization and into IND/clinical development phases.
- Adventurous “Drug-hunter” mentality in terms of address mechanism, difficult target, synthetically challenging molecules, tough druggability issues, and novel target classes.
- Expert knowledge of modern methods of peptide and medicinal chemistry with ability manage internal and external medicinal chemistry successfully.
- Experience in overseeing and directing the day-to-day scientific activities of a medicinal chemistry team.
- Ability to communicate with various functional peers including: cellular/molecular biology, biochemistry, DMPK, and Pharmacology.
- Ability to motivate team and novel and creative strategies to solve chemical matter obstacles and contribute to a robust biotech setting scientifically and culturally.