Scientist I/II, Biological Data Science
South San Francisco, California
Our client’s company is based on the science of one of the original CRISPR co-inventors who then furthered the technology so that DNA does not need to be cut to accomplish gene regulation.
We are seeking a Data Scientist to work closely with experimental biologists to assist in experimental design and be responsible for downstream bioinformatic/statistical analysis of a variety of high-throughput screens/assays.
- Work closely with experimental biologists and bioengineers on experimental design and analytical approaches to achieve strategic engineering/therapeutic objectives
- Analyze high-throughput data generated by wetlab scientists including CRISPR screens, bulk/scRNA-seq, bulk/scATAC-seq, Perturb-seq, modulator screens, among others
- Independently design and implement bespoke analysis pipelines for in-house screens
- Communicate analysis results clearly and effectively cross-team to both experimental scientists as well as non-scientists
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genetics/Genomics, Bioengineering, Computer Science, or Statistics, with 0-5 years of experience in industry/academia; alternatively
- MS in one of the above fields with 5+ years experience in industry/academia, or
- BS in one of the above fields with 10+ years experience in industry/academia
- Experience analyzing high-throughput sequencing datasets (e.g. CRISPR screens, RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, ChIP-seq, WGBS, scRNA-seq, etc.)
- Strong programming background in Python or R (preferably both)
- Demonstrated ability to communicate research results effectively to non-data scientists
- Experienced in experimental design and working collaboratively cross-team with experimental scientists
- Expertise in gene regulation, epigenetics, CRISPR biology, and/or gene therapy
- Background in protein engineering (involving model-guided approaches to protein design and molecular dynamic simulations)
- Theoretical knowledge and practical experience in machine learning / deep learning
- Lentiviral vector design, packaging, transduction, and cell line creation
- Familiarity with AWS or other cloud computing infrastructures
- Familiarity with Github
The salary range for this position is $104,136 USD to $145,000 USD annually. This salary range is an estimate, and the actual salary may vary based on various factors, including, without limitation, individual education, experience, tenure, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data, including potential adjustments for geographic location.