Our growing small molecule client located in Watertown, MA is growing and looking to add a hands-on Project Leader, Oncology Biology (Director) to their team! Will be responsible for drug discovery programs applying targeted protein degradation to previously intractable targets. In collaboration with chemistry leaders and a multidisciplinary team, this individual will define the project strategy, and implement assays and in vivo models to refine understanding of the target in disease/TPP and drive hit-to-lead/lead-optimization work towards the identification of differentiated development candidates. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Lead/co-lead small molecule drug discovery programs from hit-to-lead to Development Candidate selection in collaboration with drug discovery, medicinal chemistry, and pharmacology colleagues.
- Proactively identifies issues and problems within the project and leads the team to cross-functional solutions to drive project decisions. Collaborate on design and implementation of efficient compound testing scheme and supervise development of critical biological assays.
- Lead efforts to understand biological mechanisms of action, develop therapeutic hypotheses, and identify biomarkers for target and pathway engagement.
- Represent project team to internal leadership and external partners. Lead productive discussions on key scientific and strategic issues with internal and external colleagues at all levels and across disciplines.
- Rapidly adapt to changing project priorities and manage multiple projects.
- PhD in Cancer biology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, or related discipline with a minimum of 10 years of drug discovery, including demonstrated leadership of biology and project teams in the biotechnology industry.
- A track record of driving projects to IND is strongly preferred
- Recent experience in a scientific leadership role in small innovative companies is highly preferred
- In-depth knowledge of cancer cell biology and techniques used to evaluate mechanisms of action of novel agents; expertise in epigenetics is a plus.
- Experience with pre-clinical pharmacology models and integrating PK/PD and safety data into ongoing project decision making.
- Attention to detail and proven track record in handling, analyzing, and presenting experimental data to drive decision making.
- Experience in managing internal and external scientists.
- Excellent verbal and communication skills.
- Leads by example and willing to “roll up their sleeves” to help drive the project forward.