Head of Platform Development
Who we are:
Our client is a preclinical-stage, VC-backed biotech startup based in Berkeley, CA reimagining the treatment of humanity’s most devastating diseases using a novel, CRISPR-powered genome editing platform.
What you’ll be doing:
- We are looking for passionate and creative individuals to work in a dynamic start-up environment with a small, fast-paced team of scientists who are focused on revolutionizing the treatment paradigm for genetic disorders. You will be surrounded by a team with an infectious “can-do” attitude, who have no hesitancy to roll up their sleeves and get a task done, regardless of roles or titles.
- You will report to the CEO and collaborate with other company leaders to support the development and execution of the company’s vision. You will be responsible for building and leading the organization’s R&D function, which will include overseeing recruitment, designing and implementing operating best practices, managing R&D spend, supporting the organization’s fundraising efforts, and ensuring that day-to-day scientific execution is aligned with the company’s vision.
- You will own the company’s technical roadmap and be responsible for strategically conceptualizing, designing, and managing the execution of scientific work towards the development of novel gene editing therapies. Platform Development work will range across protein engineering, RNA engineering, novel architectures, high throughput screening, and next-generation sequencing.
You might be who we’re looking if you have:
- PhD in molecular biology, genetics, biophysics, bioengineering or a related field with a postdoc and/or 5+ years of industry experience
- Demonstrated experience building and managing teams in industry
- Proven track record with project management and driving scientific execution
- Experience with managing operating budgets is a plus
- Strong degree of comfort with creating, troubleshooting, and executing research plans
- A publication record of high-quality scientific work
- Strong experience with protein engineering, directed evolution work, high-throughput screening, CRISPR-tool development, cellular & molecular biology techniques, and next-gen sequencing
- Able to clearly document and communicate scientific findings to multiple audiences
- An entrepreneurial spirit and love working in fast-paced environments
- The ability to commute to our lab in Berkeley, CA and authorization to work in the United States
Working here is awesome because:
- We are moving so quickly, things never get stale
- You will be working on interesting and high impact problems with a team of seasoned, high caliber scientists, operators, investors, and advisors
- We promote the professional development of our employees and strongly encourage upward mobility
- We enable a sense of ownership by providing meaningful equity
- Generous paid time off, so you can take a break when you need it
- Health, Dental, and Vision benefits