Director of Research Operations (Ph.D)
Location: Palo Alto, CA
In this role you’ll be responsible for managing: day-to-day research and laboratory operations including: procurement, receiving, instrumentation, lab training and lab onboarding of new staff. You’ll be obsessed with optimizing the function of the lab space, operational support, and research workflows. You’ll work with Organizational leadership in implementing and growing the lab efforts and eventual move to new facilities as well in the future. If this role sounds exciting contact the HireMinds team today to learn more and apply.
In This Role You Will:
• You will collaborate with scientific staff and facilities management in overseeing core facilities, lab safety and compliance plans, budgeting and forecasting, research IT/data infrastructure, and planning for the future move to new laboratory space in 2023.
• You will lead the Operations function, hiring and managing a high-performing team of lab operations and research support staff to support smooth operation of research activities across the Institute.
• Work collaboratively with other functional leaders, including Principal Investigators, Finance, Legal, People, Scientific leadership as well as University Relations and Academic Affairs
• Ensure laboratories, instrumentation, operational support, and lab trainings are optimized for efficient research workflows and shared space and instrumentation usage and address key needs of scientific teams.
• Oversee Laboratory Safety & Compliance, Facilities, and Permitting.
• Oversee assessment, acquisition, maintenance, training and usage of shared capital equipment.
• Manage tactical operation of Core Facilities, which evaluate and deploy new technology and capital equipment.
• Oversee procurement, stocking and receiving of lab supplies and consumables
• Partner on outfitting the research space in 2023 for a 100,000 square ft facility.
• Collaborate with Finance for quarterly budgeting, annual forecasting, reviewing monthly actuals to budget.
• Support the transition of new labs from affiliate universities to Arc, managing their moves and supporting their onboarding into Arc’s lab space
You’ll Bring With You:
• Preferred: PhD in life sciences with 10+ years in Lab/Research operational support in a wet and dry laboratory scientific setting.
• 5+ years of people management experience with past experience in hiring and supporting high performing teams of Research staff.
• Significant experience overseeing lab functions including: safety, facilities, capital equipment, vivarium, budgeting, and future planning.
• Ability to assess and design efficient workflows in shared laboratories and communicate across teams.
• Experience building and maintaining infrastructure to support research activities.
• Highly organized, with a drive to actively improve process and workflows in the laboratory research setting.
• Excellent communication skills with strong influence and negotiation skills.
• Highly collaborative with great enthusiasm for working across cross-functional teams.
• Able to calmly and positively navigate shifting priorities and rapid change in an evolving organization.
Salary Range: $180-225k + bonus and comprehensive benefit plan.