Director of User Experience Design Direct Hire MA
Job ID: 16078 Direct Hire MA
Our Cambridge, MA client is seeking an experienced, determined, and dynamic Director of User Experience Design to lead a passionate team of Designers, Researchers, and Strategists committed to creating stand-out product and service experiences that directly impact cancer care.
We are looking for someone who can lead the charge in sustaining and elevating the work of the User Experience team. This includes advocating for UX Design, acting as a mentor for the team, and putting systems and structures in place to support collaborative, user-focused, iterative mentality so the team can work to solve complex problems and design thoughtful, need-centered solutions.
The Director of UX Design will collaborate closely with Product Owners, Engineering, Creative, Marketing, Communications, and Product Development to develop and execute a design process that enables us to deliver on an ambitious but exciting product roadmap. They will help to define priorities, manage design schedules and resource allocation across multiple work-streams, and own design quality and consistency across our entire product ecosystem.
- You are a world-class UX Director with the ability to work cross-functionally with various teams, including Creative, Marketing, Product Development, and Technology, thinking strategically about how the user experience defines and reinforces the company brand.
- You ask lots of questions, listen actively, read between the lines, and don’t take anything at face value, driving toward the core problem the team needs to be solving.
- You’re a holistic, systems thinker who loves solving big problems and can articulate complex solutions verbally and visually.
- You have a compelling design perspective to share, with extensive experience incorporating user-centered methods and a love for data-driven, functional design.
- You’re passionate about using the right research—both qualitative and quantitative—to foster innovation, assess design solutions, and align key stakeholders.
- You understand that great design can create exceptional experiences, and that each solution must exist seamlessly within the greater ecosystem of products and services.
- You are eager to develop a deep understanding of the business and how all of the pieces come together from different stakeholder perspectives, toward a shared mission.
- You have built, mentored, and led successful UX Design Teams in other organizations.
- Before that, you came up through the trenches, framing problems and researching and designing solutions to said problems, all with a high level of technical competency.
- You have experience cultivating a highly collaborative, creative, and customer-centric culture within a Design team and cross-functionally.
- You have experience taking high-level business goals and breaking them down into approachable, actionable—and ideally assessable—goals for a Design team.
- You have familiarity with an agile development environment.
- You are a facilitator of conversations, with extensive experience leading workshops and design sprints with a diverse set of participants.
- You default to this facilitator role and work across disciplines to crack challenging problems, but you’re not afraid to make difficult decisions when priorities need to be focused.
- 5+ years of Design management experience.
- BA/BS degree in Design (interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial), HCI, related field, or equivalent practical experience; MS or advanced degree a plus.